Health Blog contains much useful information, advices and recommendations. Natural Health - is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. Natural health includes breathing Buteyko Method,diet, exercise, chiropractic, naturopathy, herbalism, homeopathy, massage therapy, relaxation techniques (e.g. Yoga, Tai Chi), accupuncture, sauna, aromatherapy, ayurveda medicine, and Kneipp therapy.
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Eating healthily is not hard
Eating healthily is not hard to do and the benefits are well worth the effort.
Why is healthy eating important?
In adults, healthy eating can help you manage your weight and will improve your overall feeling of well-being; it can also reduce your risk of developing illness and serious disease.
The right balance of foods will give your child all the nutrients they need for healthy growth and development. It also helps to educate them to eat healthily and can reduce the risk of serious diseases later in life.
What is a healthy diet?
A healthy diet contains:
* plenty of starchy foods such as bread, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals, potatoes, yams and sweet potatoes - look for higher fibre versions where possible (eg wholemeal bread or pasta)
* at least five portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables daily
* moderate amounts of dairy products (or alternatives) - look for low fat versions where possible
* moderate amount of meat, fish or alternatives such as eggs, beans, peas and lentils - look for lower fat versions where possible
* the occasional treat (foods that are higher in fat, salt and/or added sugar should only be eaten in moderation)
* little salt - always read the label
Healthy diets for babies and children
Eating healthily yourself is one of the best ways to encourage your child to develop healthy eating habits. Healthy eating needn't be expensive. In fact, basing meals on starchy foods and fruit and vegetables, and aiming to eat less fat, salt and added sugar, can actually work out cheaper.
Babies and children under five have different diet requirements. For more information follow the coming posts on health blog.
* Healthy eating for babies;
* Healthy eating for breastfeeding.
Children and young people aged 5-16 can get tailored information on healthy eating from the coming posts on health blog:
* Healthy eating for young people (young people's section);
* Welltown website for ages 5-7;
* Galaxy-H website for ages 7-11;
* Life Bytes website for ages 11-14;
* Mind, Body and Soul website for ages 14-16.